Sunday, August 24, 2008

Running in slow motion...

I haven't run in such a time long... and I'm getting fat! That's not true, I ran the Adidas 10 mile race last weekend, but no escaping the getting fat bit!! I finished Friday great intentions for Saturday; up early, light breakfast, running gear on, out for a 13 miler, home, shower, potter in the garden, dash into town for a browse and a latte or two, etc.

Next thing I knew it was Sunday morning! This happens occasionally... Saturday knew what I had planned for it and it hid behind the sofa until the the next morning. Luckily for me I had no such plans for Sunday and it thought it was safe to hang around.

I had to get a run in today as it has been a week since my last serious run. I really want to avoid road running until the very last moment so I dusted off the mountain bike and rode a little over 3 miles to the Curragh. The Curragh is a flat open plain of almost 5,000 acres (20 km²) of common land. There is a permanent sheep presence on much of the plain which helps keeps the grass trimmed, perfect for running.


The cycle may have been short but took a lot out of me, not a great start. My legs were stiff and I probably should have stretched before running but, you know! The first two miles were on level ground with nice short grass and the odd ruminant obstacle. The pace however was painfully slow, I felt like I was running in slow motion... I just couldn't get my legs to move but bizarrely I was enjoying the run.

Here's a curious thing about sheep... they hear you running, they can see you approaching, they stand there staring at you running directly at them but they stand still until the very last moment when they react with panic as if they've just noticed you. I thought that was a little odd.

By mile 3 and I was getting into the swing of things but by mile 4 grass had given way to muddy track. There was a runner ahead of me that veered to the left while I forged straight ahead... oh well, next time I'll know.

By mile 5 I was back on grass and rounding the military camp. I could have finished at 5 miles but knew that I needed to do more so I carried on past my bike for a mile loop.

After 6 miles I was very tired and faced a 3 mile cycle home. After a rest and a little water I was off. Luckily the ride home is mostly downhill and I arrived home less knackered than expected.

The bottom line? I have a lot of catching up to do if I'm going to beat my Cork marathon time of 4.47 in Dublin this October... a lot of catching up!!

No comments: