Sunday, March 07, 2010

Barcelona Marathon

Finally the big day had arrived!! We flew in yesterday at stupid o'clock getting us into the centre of Barcelona very early in the day but it did mean that we had a Spanish breakfast which is always a treat!! In fact almost everything Spanish is a treat; one notable exception is the Spanish Inquisition which highlighted the enormous different a letter can make - it being less of a treat and more of a threat.

The race start/finish area was a hive of activity and so well organised. It was so exciting to arrive at Placa Espanya and walk through the two Venetian Towers that led up to the Font Magica de Monjuic where we all agreed to meet up. We were an eclectic bunch of runners including a professional who would easily finish in 2.30, a natural runner who hoped for 3.30, a dedicated runner who hoped to finish in under 4.00... and me!

The race started on time and that excitement and enthusiasm followed us for the entire course as it seemed that the entire city came out to cheer us on.

I ran the entire distance at a reasonable pace although there were a with a few exceptions at larger water stations where I couldn't resist the impressive spreads of fruit, nuts, chocolate and biscuits. Not only did I eat at these stations but I leave each one with hand fulls of goodies... it's entirely likely that I managed to put on weight during that marathon!

Coming back into the city for the last time I was still going well and feeling good, I was sure I would cross the line in record time if I kept it up. Curiously I don't recall hitting the wall at around 20 miles on this run like I have in the past, I have to put it down to the constant and enthusiastic spectators.

Rounding Placa Espanya the two Venetian Towers loomed high over me as I ran between them towards the finish line. I crossed the line in 4:36:01... a shiny new PB!!

Here's the route as I ran it: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/26786145

I would love to do this marathon again next year, perhaps I can make it under 4 hours then? I have the Cork and Dublin marathons to run this year, if I focus and train properly perhaps I can do it!

No comments: