Wednesday, July 02, 2008

When gravity goes bad...

After a very wet but uneventful ride home I was just entering Newbridge when I remembered that my locksmith had called a few days earlier to let me know that replacement keys for my bike had arrived. So I decided not to go straight home, instead I'd ride on through the town and up to Newbridge Shopping Centre to pick up the keys.

I had just entered the car park and intended to turn right into one of the many lanes to find a parking space when I noticed a white SUV travelling in the opposite direction. The next few seconds took me by complete surprise; the rear wheel quickly and without any warning slipped to the left. Before I knew it I was on the ground with a very heavy bike resting on my right leg. I was stuck, the bike wouldn't move and my leg was pinned to the floor. The bike had been running for almost an hour, I knew the engine was red hot and being stuck under it was the last place I wanted to be. The driver of the SUV came to my rescue and helped me lift the bike just enough to free my leg. Once on my feet I could get the bike upright and wheel it out of the way.

I felt a little shocked but otherwise OK. The bike took a bang on the right side which knocked the brake lever block out of position but otherwise no other damage.

I rode the bike home and when I got inside my right leg felt quite sore around the knee. Taking my boots off I felt moisture around my knee and I thought blood, damn!! However, once I got my bike trousers off it turned out to be water, probably from the time I spend on the ground under the bike. My knee was a little grazed but nothing serious. There was a little bruising and it did feel sore. The Achill 1/2 marathon is in 3 days time, is that enough time to recover?

No comments: