Saturday, December 06, 2008

10K on Ice...

It was a cold and frosty morning. I mean really cold and really frosty. So cold and frosty that second thoughts about running 10K were frequent and very convincing but I stuck to the plan lined up with the rest of the shivering masses before the start line. I planned to arrive at the starting area just a few minutes before the start time to avoid getting too cold but my brilliant plan was scuppered when the start time was pushed back a couple of times.

Just as hypothermia was about to set in we were off. The route was familiar but very slippy in places. It was very, very cold and I was glad to have the hat that I pickup in Newcastle at the GNR expo. I really missed my gloves, my hands were freezing and it took 7K for them to warm up!

I finished in a decent time of 57:29 (09:16 mins/m) but just missed out on a new PB by 4 seconds. The race was the first decent bit of running that I've done since the Dublin marathon over a month ago so I'm happy with my time. Next week is the Jungle Bells 5K, hopefully I pick up a new PB there!

Staight after the race I had to dash into my office to create some icons for a group of software developers sitting in another office in India... funny old world we're living in!!

Here's a link to my 10K race: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/1490148

2 comments:

monica said...

andy - that's an excellent time, especially if you consider the condition you were running in ... or I should say ..ON! evelyn told me how icy it was.

were you at the 5k? it wasn't icy but I was fricking cold!!

Andrew said...

Thanks, I missed out on a new PB by seconds. I didn't make it to the 5K, I was in the wrong part of the country the night before. Did you make it up to Newry to Barry's run?