Thursday, January 15, 2009

Washington Week

I managed to avoid the treadmill during my stay in Dunn Loring and before I got my act together it was time to change. On Tuesday I moved to the Tysons corner district, a little closer to Washington DC. It was working week and had been very busy. I promised myself to be in the gym a 6am every morning. The next morning I was up on time and made it to the door of the gym by 6.30am but to my horror it was full, there were queues for treadmills and other fitness contraptions. A little disappointed and a little relieved I wandered back to my room to get ready for the day.

That was the one and only visit I made to the gym that week. I had considered running outside but it would have been like playing with traffic, there were few pavements to be seen. Besides the outside temperature was well below zero...

I had taken Friday off and planned on driving up to Pennsylvania to visit friends and relations. A friend had warned me that the term "relations" can have a very different meaning on this side of the Atlantic. When I explained they were family she took a step back and said "where do you think you are? West Virginia?". I didn't get it. I've been to West Virginia and everyone I met there was really friendly. There's a real family feel to the place, and I didn't have to worry about remembering who's who... everyone seemed to have the same last name. Am I missing something?

No comments: