Sunday, May 10, 2009

Weak from hell...

I think I'm finally getting over this flu/cold thing that's been beating me up for the last week and a bit. I lost a couple of weekends and consequently a couple of long runs including the all important 20 miler last weekend. I haven't been running since the 6 miler on the 29th of April and I'm a little worried... but considering there are only 3 weeks to the marathon I probably should be really, REALLY worried but I'm not! Bizarrely I have faith that it'll all work out.

It's quite remarkable. You see I know it's not going to work out, in fact I know (this is a fact for I have been there) that if I don't get those big miles in 3 weeks before the big day it will be torture, particularly the last 6 miles but there is some kind of cerebral cushioning going on that will not let me recognise even the most simple and obvious facts. Is this how religion works? Is there a trigger that switches off our ability to reason, question and recognise the obvious when we really want to do something, believe in something, or have worked long & hard for something?

1 comment:

monica said...

you can only run, in spite of everything else...including reason! that's what we runners do!

:)