Saturday, May 31, 2008

Corked: Part 1 of 3

Woke up to a fantastic day; the sun was shining and the weekend had just begun. The plan was to be on the road to Cork by midday, unfortunately the sunshine slowed everything down and it was 3pm before acts were put into gear and we finally got on the road.

We arrived at the hotel in good time and checked into a room with a view. The view used to be of the city before they built the leisure centre but I couldn't complain as I intended to make full use of it with my new found swimming skill.

We were eating at 8 so as soon as we unpacked it was straight to the pool. Could water on Cork have more buoyancy than Kildare water? Here I was swimming; my breast stroke looked less like a drowning man making for shore and more like a man on the verge of drowning... I consider that progress.

After a very, very cold shower and a stint in the steam room it was time to eat. I met our dining partner in the bar for a remarkably good pint of Murphy's stout, well... when in Cork and all that, my usual would be a Guinness. Dinner was fantastic, not at all what I expected from the hotel.

After dinner there was just enough time to sample the night life in the city and we jumped into the first taxi heading that way. We went to a Tapas bar (can't remember the name) but I really liked this place; we were sitting at the bar which I usually don't like but the bar staff were so into what they were doing that it was a real treat to be there. The crowd were lively and we stayed for quite a few.

It was getting late and we had to make one more connection before jumping into a taxi back to the hotel. We thought it would be rude to walk past the bar and not have a drink so we did the decent thing.

Finally to bed...

No comments: