Saturday, July 18, 2009

Adidas DCM 5 miler

I had 11 miles on my schedule for today and as today's race was 5 miles I though running 6 miles before the race would be a great idea... add that to the 5 mile race and I'll have done my 11 miler!! However, that brilliant plan scuppered due to several beers the night before, severe lack of sleep and training but above a complete absence of the will to do it... in fact the will to live was struggling to get a look in as I tumbled out of bed this morning.

Before setting off I had to fix the panniers to the bike to store my motorcycle gear while running. A major benefit of riding a motorcycle is being able to get closer your destination, frequently right beside it! This was the first time I had taken the motorcycle to a race a I wasn't sure if was practical but when I got to the Phoenix park there were quite a few other bikers getting their gear on, or off, and some getting their grove on but I think they were foreign (just a guess as they were tanned and attractive, not typical Irish characteristics).

The race started late, but we all expected that. I ran the first half mile at a pleasant pace with a fellow fetchie before taking off to catch up with my virtual partner who was fixed on a 40 minute time. I ran at what I thought was a fast but reasonable pace, I didn't want put everything into the first few miles only to lose it later in the race. I really wanted to beat the magic 40 minute barrier but I crossed the line a second over 43 minutes, while not what I wanted it was a really good time and I'm very happy with it.

We spent about an hour at the finish area eating, chatting and making plans for later and by the time I got back to my motorcycle stretching had completely slipped my mind. It was during dinner later that night that I remembered but a busy restaurant is not the place to be throwing legs over shoulders so tomorrow I will surely pay the price with a pair of aching legs...

No comments: