Saturday, February 14, 2009

Cupid Dash 2009

Some might say it was a perfect morning for a run. Of course these people are either crazy or super hardcore runners, possible both. I, on the other hand, was at a disadvantage before I had even fallen out of bed that morning. A single glass of unremarkable red wine a few hours before made sure of that. It was that one glass from that one bottle, in addition to several glasses from another quite remarkable bottle, that set me up for a tough morning.

Tired and feeling like I had been dragged through several hedges backwards I managed to get up, get ready and get to the start line in once piece. It was a very, very cold morning... so cold that anyone in fancy dress opted for the more substantial costumes, leaving the mini skirts and nappies/diapers at home.

We were very late getting off and by the time the starting pistol rang out hypothermia was about to set in. The temperature was so low that it took me 3 or 4 kilometers to warm up, and my head was thumping as if a team of miniature panel beaters were enthusiastically redesigning the shape of my brain.

It was a tough run and completely self inflicted so I can't complain. But I was glad to have done it, these races are always a lot of fun and it's great to meet up with my running buddies. The time wasn't all that bad; 58.11 which is only 45 seconds slower than my personal best for a 10K. The takeaway there is that if I don't sabotage myself the night before I should have a shiny new PB next time I run a 10K!

Here's a link to my route: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/2160271

No comments: