Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Laced in haste...

Street running is a world away for the monotonous trudging on the treadmill, I wonder if my problem yesterday was more treadmill related than trainer related.

Tonight's 5 mile route followed the familiar streets of Naas and it was really nice to be outside again. It started well but very quickly my left foot started to feel a little uncomfortable, later followed by my right foot. I battled on but after 2 miles it was obvious that I wasn't going to run this off.

We were running at a relatively slow pace which helped a little and because I wasn't running alone I wasn't going to give up and stop. The discomfort slowly increased with time. It felt like pins and needles, and the more I thought about it I began to arrive at the conclusion that my feet felt constricted. Can you imagine if my laces were tied too tight? How pathetic would that be?

We finished the run after what seemed like a lifetime and I was so relieved to stop. I checked my laces and they seemed OK but I loosened them a little more anyway. The sense of relief was overwhelming!! Damn it, it was my laces after all. Just a tiny tweak made such a big difference. Feeling like an idiot quickly gave way to relief knowing that my new expensive trainers were OK after all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are an excellent, humorous writer. I enjoyed reading as many as I could. Thoroughly enjoyed them!

Shika