Monday, April 27, 2009

18 miles is a very long way to go...

This was the first of my really long runs before we taper off. I ran it on my own and it went surprisingly well considering I haven't been sticking to the schedule. The planned route was 2 loops of the familiar 7.5 mile Curragh long route and I'd make up the 3 miles somewhere at the end.

The first loop went really well. I brought my iPod with me, it was the first time I had used it outside (i.e. not in the gym) for many, many months and it really helped. The second loop went really well too although I had to skip past a few songs that didn't fit... namely the brilliant but depressing "Every Body Hurts" (REM), the stop - start - stop "Quite" (Bjork) and the "not for a man to run to" for all kinds of reasons "Dancing Queen" (ABBA).

At 15 miles I was back a the car and had 3 miles to go. For some reason I miscalculated the distance it would take cover 3 miles... one would think it should be 3 miles or twice 1.5 miles but I returned to the car with another 2 miles to run... so off I went again, this time getting it right and got back to the car with zero mile to go! 18 miles in the bag, I'm so glad to have done it, only a massive 20 miler to do now!!!

No comments: