Saturday, November 07, 2009

Crookstown Motorway 10K

This morning was cold and wet... and I mean REALLY cold and very wet! Oh... and windy, lots of wind.... the unhelpful blowing in the wrong direction kind of wind and as this run was along a closed motorway I didn't expect much shelter along the way. I arrived an hour early to collect my number and travelled by motorcycle, my only mode of transport these days. Having an hour to wait and not having a warm car to shelter from the many elements I made full use of tented facilities around the start area, my favourite was the refreshments tent with it's endless mugs of hot tea... but a price was to be paid for that 5 minutes before the start!

The run started on time and everyone quickly warmed up during the first kilometer. I concentrated on keeping a steady pace, I knew I wasn't going to break any records but it was going to be close. The drinks station was close to the half way mark where I walked for a moment to drink some water but for some reason that totally knocked me off my stride; whether it was walking, drinking and a combination of the two I don't know but I struggled for the next few kilometers.

I crossed the line in a respectable 56.30. Amazing to think that a year ago getting under an hour for a 10K was massive, now it's to be expected...

Here's the map and details of my run: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/18228908.

No comments: