Sunday, June 29, 2008

A weekend in Budapest...

This is a great city! My only other visit here, a few years ago, was a little rushed and we didn't have a lot of time to explore; then we were heading into the depths of winter and the temperature had plummeted to close to zero Centigrade, not ideal for wandering the streets. This time couldn't have been more different; we were heading for the height of summer and the average temperature was 32 degrees Centigrade; much more conducive for tourist wanderings and we had time to do it!

We stayed for five days (four nights), staying in a Hilton for the first two nights and then a much more agreeable apartment hotel for the last two; the latter had less fuss and more stuff, and it had a terrific pool which I made full use of.

On Saturday evening I decided that I had to get running so we made a plan to get up really early and walk the mile to Margaret Island where I would run two circuits (about 6.7 miles) which would give herself enough time to get in one walking circuit. Getting up really early meant no alcohol the night before which was ridiculous when on holiday so the 6am became 8am which is still early, we're just leaving off the really bit.

We walk along the Danube to Margaret Island, passing the poignant Shoes on the Danube Promenade, a memorial to the people who fell victim to the Arrow Cross militiamen in Budapest and depicts their shoes left behind on the bank when they fell into the river after having been shot during World War II.

The island is on the Danube (or should that be in the Danube?) and is accessed from Elizabeth Bridge. When I got down to the bank of the island I was surprised to find that there was a proper running track that appeared to stretch the entire circumference of the island. Running on that track was like running on air, if only I could run on this every day but it's a hell of a commute.

There were plenty of people out and it didn't take long before I came across someone running just out of my comfort zone so I decided to try to stick with her. The first half of the island was easy enough even though the temperature was a lot higher than expected. We were running at a fast pace and I was starting to feel the strain. We briefly left the track as we ran around the end of island and onto the northern edge where we picked up the track again. The sun was beating down and felt like it was sucking the energy out of me. I managed to keep up with my pace maker for another half a mile or so until she slowly slipped away as my energy levels plummeted. Half way along this side of the island I passed several swimming pools where a large digital thermometer read 32 degrees centigrade; that I could believe.

It wasn't long before I passed the starting point and I was on lap 2. The second lap was tough but I knew what to expect, and somewhere along the first half my reserves kicked in with a welcome boost. On the second half I could feel a dull pain my left knee, not enough to stop me but from experience I knew that once I stop running it will hurt!

I'm not often right but this time I was spot on; as I completed the second lap I stopped the clock, slowed to a walk and instantly the pain shot through my knee. I limped up the hill to the main access road where rested and stretched to try to relieve the pain.

After a little while we were ready to get back to the hotel and breakfast! As we started to make our way back I took a few moments to log my time and distance; 6.67 miles in 58:31, that's an impressive pace of 8:46. The walk back was less brisk than earlier but the combination rest & stretching did the trick and we were making good time.

Time, as it turned out, was not on our side. We somehow managed to slip back into Irish time and thought we were an hour earlier. When we arrived at the hotel we thought we had plenty of time to shower and change but as the concierge pointed out breakfast was just about to end. It was an easy decision; miss breakfast for a shower and fresh clothes or slip into the breakfast room, hoping that nobody notices our soggy attire. We opted for the latter of course and, for the price of a few raised eyebrows, tucked into a well deserved feast.

After breakfast, a very long shower and a potter around the locality we made for the hotel's excellent swimming pool for a pre-lunch swim. Happy days!!

No comments: