Saturday, October 18, 2008

Do I look like a copper?

I had a bit of a scare while driving out of my estate this afternoon. There is a sharp 90 degree left turn about 100m before the main road, there is nothing to impede visibility on this turn and it has never been a problem before but this afternoon as I was taking the turn a car seemed to be driving straight towards me.

I blinked and it was true... although now it was actually driving straight for me! I had nowhere to go but luckily driver corrected her course at the last second. We both stopped, and as I walked to her car I could hear her apologising from behind the closed door of her brand new luxury salon car. As I approached the car I asked her if she was blind, when I got to the car she explained that the sun blinded her and she asked me to turn around to observe how low and bright the sun was.

I did this and yes, it was low and bright but if you can't see where you're going do you carry on regardless? I was about to ask her again if she was blind when I noticed something odd about her face, I was so glad I didn't because just then I realised she only had one eye.

I was still a little shaken and quite annoyed. I commented on the fact that she and her 3 child passengers weren't wearing seat belts, she seemed to mumble why was I asking about seat belts when suddenly she became very defensive and explained that she and all companions had just removed their seat belts when the had car stopped. This didn't explain how her seat belt was clicked in place while she was sitting it.

For some reason I looked at her tax and insurance discs. I half expected them to be either missing or out of date however both were present and in date. I asked her if she was OK, she was. As I walked away I commented again about the seat belts and how the kids should always wear them, the very last thing she said to me was "Yes, thanks Guard".

When I got back to my car it dawned on me what she said and that for some reason she assumed I was a Policeman (Police officers are commonly referred to as Guards in Ireland). That's a little upsetting... What characteristics could I possibly share with a stereotypical Policeman? OK, I'm tall and had my hair cut that day but apart from that? I may need to review my wardrobe, perhaps that's part of the problem. Blue shoes, red pants and a paisley shirt... that should leave no room for doubt, although I could be mistaken for a number of other things!!

No comments: