Sunday, October 12, 2008

Half that will do...

The plan said 12 miles on Sunday, this was supposed to be my last long run before the Marathon but it proved to be a little too far for these two tired legs.

After procrastinating for the entire morning and most of the afternoon I finally got my act together and got out. I got as far as the driveway... my French car let me down again! I have a theory about foreign automotive engineering:
  • If they make great wine or bland beer chances are they make rubbish cars.
  • ...or...
  • If they make awful wine or fantastic beer chances are they make really good cars.
Let's explore that:
  • Look at the Germans: dreadful wine, so bad that Panzer's used it as antifreeze, and some of the best tasting beers in the world but they make the great cars.
  • What about the French? Fantastic wine, beers that look and taste like coloured water but what of their cars? They look the part but under the bonnet it's a miracle that anything works... frequently it doesn't.
  • Italians? Great wine and their beer may actually be beer but only in the broadest sense of the word. As for their cars? Fiat, need I say more?
After 1/2 an hour under the bonnet wishing for a miracle I finally got the car to start and I was off! The Curragh was soggy to say the least but I was glad to be out. I ran the first 5 minutes far too quickly, you see I passed a gorgeous woman in the car park as I was running out and had to pick up the pace! Why? I don't know, but to my horror there was another equally gorgeous woman jogging towards me so I had to keep the speed up. After a couple of minutes I was well out of sight, out of breath and about to slow to my usual pace when, to yet more horror, in the distance I could see another jogger. I couldn't make out if it was a man or a woman so I had to keep this ridiculous pace up. It turned out to be a fat bloke with a beard which really upset me, all that effort wasted.

I carried on at a more reasonable pace. By mile 5 I was getting really tired and struggle to get to mile 6. At that stage I knew I wasn't going to get 12 miles in. I pushed it to 6.73 miles and I was done! It took me 1:10 to run the distance, that's an average pace of 10:22. My maximum pace was 6:00, far too fast!

Here's a link to my route and stats: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/1079520

No comments: