Monday, April 07, 2008

God calling...

Here's another handy hint but it only applies to bikers in Ireland: If you've got a radio built into your motorcycle helmet (which I do) which is not easily controllable with your gloves on (which mine isn't) and your radio station of choice is RTE Radio 1 (which mine is) and you tend to set the volume quite high (which I do) then avoid at all costs travelling anywhere near 6pm because you will instantly have one thing in common with Quasimodo: The Bells... THE BELLS!!

You see in Ireland, RTE (the national broadcaster) transmits the Angelus every evening at 6pm. For those outside the catholic circle, the Angelus is a minute long sound of the Angelus bell, a church bell. I admit, a minute doesn’t sound like a long time but let me assure you that your mind will be quickly changed, challenged and probably crushed if you find yourself hurtling down the M7 at breathtaking speed happily listening to the latest in world affairs when suddenly your crash helmet is replaced by a huge church bell that is rung with gusto for a full minute!! And there's NOTHING you can do about it... ARRRGGGGGGGG.......

This happens to me with alarming frequency... it may explain a lot...

2 comments:

monica said...

I cannot stand those bells either. I was quite shocked when I moved here to hear them ... wierd.

Andrew said...

Apparently Ireland is the only national broadcaster that broadcasts the angelus, even Vatican TV only broadcasts it on Sunday!