Sunday, April 27, 2008

Walking in slow motion...

The first thing i did this morning was weight myself... still 84KG. Not bad, could be better but hey ho.

The plan was to run 18 miles but due to my rubbish map reading skills I accidentally planned a route of 20.4 miles. I suspected that I had made an error when my legs decided to stop working after 2.5 hours. I knew what there were doing and completely understood but I was a long way from home. What followed was a very, very, very long and uncomfortable walk home, stopping on several occasions to rest and stretch. My legs we incredible tired and stiff, and my arches were just unbelievably painful. My biggest fear was getting blisters, they can take quite some time to heal.

I was walking as fast as I could because the only place I wanted to be was home, sometimes the really is no place like home. I eventually made it, walking up my street was an incredible feeling after such a hard slog for over 5 miles.

Once home the first thing I did was sit down, I just had to take the weight off those exhausted and very sore legs. The phone rang a couple of times and after 30 mins or so I took my trainers and socks off to realise my greatest fear... blisters. Not just ordinary blisters, these were monsters. They may have started out as several blisters earlier in my run but over time they decided to pool resources and band together to form a union. They were big, one on each arch, and they explained a lot!

I was in really in a lot of pain, in fact climbing the stairs was a serious ordeal and I had to make sure I did it as little as possible. While upstairs I weighed myself and to my surprise I was 83KG, a whole 1KG down since this morning. I wasn't sure but I may have discovered something incredible, the weight of something previously though not measurable; I may have discovered the weight of the will to live! You see the only thing that I'm sure that I lost during my 20 miles of hell this morning was my will to live, could that account for the missing KG??

After a couple of hours of rest I had to do a little shopping for blister related stuff. I drove to the shopping mall and parked in the usual way. Walking to the shopping area was a little strange, like walking in slow motion. My legs were operating on work to rule basis.

With the marathon so close (5 weeks time) I'm a little worried that I may not be able to train this week. We've got a 5-9-5 and a 14 mile run at the weekend. I think I'll be OK by the weekend but the mid-week runs look doubtful.

1 comment:

monica said...

the more miles you run the better :-)