Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Running on the dark side...

Tonight I had to run 6 miles but I just couldn't face an hour on the treadmill. Although it was getting late I decided to jump in the car head to the Curragh, getting there a little after 7.30. With the summer behind us it now starts to get dark at 8pm so I wasted no time. To make up the 6 miles I had two laps of the largest field to run. Half way around the first lap all was going well but it was getting dark, a second lap may not be possible.

The route takes me along lovely undulating grassy terrain, parallel with the M7 motorway. After a couple of miles there's a left towards the military camp and then a little cross country around the perimeter camp (the Army are very protective of their gaff...) which eventually leads to the main access road to the camp. Then I take a sharp left by an old airfield, used occasionally by military helicopters, along the road back to the starting point.

By the time I reached the road it was very dark and hard to see where my feet were falling, so a second lap was out of the question. When I arrived back at the starting point a quick check of my watch revealed that I had actually ran 4 miles rather than 3, phew! To make up the other 2 miles I ran 2 loops of the road where there was occasional light from passing cars, now that is dedication!!

No comments: