Saturday, September 27, 2008

Saturday's 20 miler...

...had to be just that and no less!


I planned on running in the fantastic Phoenix Park this afternoon. I had a 5 mile circuit, I'd have to run 4 laps of that to make up 20 miles. 20 miles... it's an awful long way and I couldn't stop thinking about it all morning. The more I thought about it the less I wanted to do it but the hour cameth, I got my stuff together and hit the road.


I got to the park a little before 2pm, changed in my running gear and I was on my way by 2.05. I decided that I'd set my my pace to 9.30 minutes per mile and try to maintain that for the duration of the run. Last weekend for the Dublin 1/2 marathon I tried to start on and maintain a 9 minute mile pace but at 10 miles I was exhausted.


After the usual first few miles of breathing issues, stitches and muscle spasms timed for maximum comedic effect I settled into a comfortable rhythm. As I was running alone I had my ipod with with me, something I hadn't done for a long time. After spending the entire previous evening wrestling with iTunes, iPods and... I, I finally transferred enough music to get me around 20 miles.


The first 5 miles were comfortable enough (after several comedy moment during the first few miles of course). The music matched my mood and pace perfectly; upbeat without getting too excited with the odd dodgy note.


Before I knew it I was approaching the car and my first water and gel stop. It was a dead stop! I had to get the key out, open the boot, get the water bottle, open the gel pack, etc. It took a few minutes to get going again and then a few more to get back into a rhythm. The next 5 were a little harder but I was keeping up with my 9.30 pace. As I rounded the last corner before the long straight run to the car I felt it get a little harder to run, a few seconds later George Harrison guitar introduced "My Sweet Lord"... what timing! That got me up to my second water and gel stop.


After another 2 or 3 minute stop it took me a little longer to get back into my rhythm. Feeling tired but good I ran my third lap without much difficulty until I reached the that corner again and it felt as if someone had turned up the gravity. This run back to the car was tough and I fought the overwhelming desire to walk.


This was my final water and gel stop. This one turned out to be the longest, I was getting very tired. It took a huge effort to get those tired legs moving. My pace had slowed right down, I felt tired and heavy but the was the last lap and I convinced myself that it was all in my head... you see no matter how far I run the last stretch is always the hardest. So I struggled on and made reasonable progress. I glanced at my watch and my pace had plummeted, I was 10 minutes behind... but so tired!!


Two miles into my last lap I was really fighting. I was running downhill, one of my precious recovery downhills, when I noticed a small car driving slowly towards me with a line of 5 or 6 card behind it. As I approached the car I noticed the passenger waving to me. I was tempted to ignore her and actually took a few steps past the car when my conscience kicked in and I had to stop, after all there could be something wrong. As I walked back up the hill to the car I took my ear phones out only to be greeted with "... do you know the way to the Zoological Gardens...".

This was the emergency! I must have looked a state; dripping with sweat and a bright red face... but they wanted to direction to the Zoological Gardens. She must have picked her victim carefully; there were walkers, sign posts, one single road... and she picked me. I told her that she should keep driving along this, the only road available, and when you reach the next junction there will be a number of signposts, and one of which will point in the direction of the Zoological Gardens. After than it's a case of pointing the car in the right direction.


Yes, I had stropped out! Even the smallest things had started to annoy me. I was on the last lap, I was exhausted and ready to finish but there was another 2 miles to go. That unplanned stop threw me completely off my stride. I knew it entirely in my head and it took another mile before I settled down, by this time I was turning the last corner and on the final straight! This was tough, very tough and with less than 1/2 a mile to run I gave in and walked. I probably could have carried on but at that moment my body won the battle. I walked about 150 metres, up to the next junction, and then push myself back into a run.

When I made it back to the car my Garmin had registered 19.75 miles, I couldn't believe it, I had to keep going to make up 20 miles. It didn't take long and once I had clocked 20.02 miles I stooped the watch, stopped running, turned around and slowly walked back to the car.

I had no idea what my time was, my watch was in virtual partner mode. After much fiddling and pressing of buttons I got to the time/distance menu. I had run the 20.02 miles in 3:37:58, not bad considering how utterly exhausted I felt. I had run an average pace of 10:53; slower that I had hoped but not disappointing.

Based on these figures it's reasonable to assume that I would run a marathon in 4:50, a lot slower than Cork! More work required then!

Here's a link to my route and stats: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/954150

2 comments:

monica said...

hey andy, the most important thing at this poin is to do the miles and you did that, so well done.

I was thinking that, if you are alone this weekend for your long run and planning to do it in Phoneix Park, we could run together. I am going to do only 18 miles at 10:30m/m int the eraly afternoon, as I want to watch the GNR on TV.

let me know

Andrew said...

You're absolutely right, that's my long run done!

I'll be in Newcastle at the GNR... but might do my 12 miler in the Phoneix Park next weekend if you're around.